Fletcher Prevention Services
The issue of violence in the City of Wilmington Delaware, especially among youth, has become a crisis situation. Conversations with children, parents, teachers, community leaders, clinicians and city officials over the last decade shows how violence is changing the way many youth live.
By creating communities where youth are encouraged to be engaged allows youth to adapt to and overcome adversities. By developing positive relationships with adults in the community, youth will value the community and the relationships they have developed.
The #IGiveBackBy movement encourages adults to proactively engage youth by providing opportunities. It doesn’t matter what youth do. Any involvement is good! When youth get involved in community activities, they get a lot of personal rewards and feelings of achievement. Community engagement will help youth with:
- Their self-confidence, mental health and wellbeing
- Show initiative and develop skills
- Create their identity and connections
- Become role models
Participating in #IGiveBackBy is a great way to make a difference in your community. But sometimes it’s difficult to find ways to engage youth. Try some of these ideas for teens and get inspired to give back by:
- Have them send care packages to deployed troops, veterans, or wounded soldiers. Go to Give2TheTroops to learn what to donate and who to send it to.
- Help them write a letter to their Congressman about an issue that they care about.
- Get them to rake leaves, shovel the walk, or do housework.
- Teach them a skill you have
- Volunteer to tutor them.
- Become their mentor
- Coach a sport.
- Volunteer to give music lessons
- Do a neighborhood cleanup.
- Plant trees
- Have them carry your groceries
- Have them volunteer at your job.
Being involved in some kind of community activity can also reduce the likelihood of substance abuse, mental illness and criminal activity in youth. By proactively providing youth with opportune you will promote healthy youth, a healthy environment, and strong communities. Post your activities online with #IGiveBackBy to motivate and inspire others!